Five takeaways from the Greezin Documentary
1. 70% of Bermudians are overweight or obese.
2. Bermuda has the highest rate of amputations as a result to type 2 diabetes which is correlated to sugar intake, food and diet. It is estimated that the cost of amputations in Bermuda is $70 million a year.
3. 50% of Bermudians have at lease 1 Chronic disease.
4. At least 7,000 people in Bermuda have diabetes. That is 14% of the population compared to , 10% in the USA and 4% in the UK.
5. Bermuda spends more on healthcare per person than any other country in the world.
- Bermuda spends $11,200 per person on healthcare.
Catherine Burns wrote an insightful piece in the Royal Gazette on December 2nd, called, 'We are living at odds with food environment' that helps put it all in perspective. http://ow.ly/mYOk306PhtK